Fortified Settlement of Tichá

Fortress Tichá, overview Location:
The village and the fortified settlement of Tichá (Silent) are located 10 km to the south of Kaplice.

Origin of the Name:
The name of the village is derived from the name of a stream. The German name was Oppolz, it means Oppolt´s yard.

Significant Architectural Features:
Only the torso of the sizeable residential tower was preserved. The tower had a square plan and the length of the sides was 9 metres. The wall is in parts as thick about 2.5 metres. The tower is 12 metres tall and the original entrance to the place is situated on its first floor.

History of the Place's Residents:
The fortified settlement was never a centre of independent estates. It was built by lords z Velešína and originally it was a part of the Velešín estates. After the death of Beneš and Jan z Velešína in 1360 the fortified settlement was administrated by the Rosenbergs who were the guardians of their children. The Rosenbergs bought Tichá in 1387 and owned it until the family died out in 1611. The fortified settlement was a very important place and it was the reason why it became a place of residence of the independent burgrave and captain. In 1789 the fortified settlement was rebuilt into a brewery that was later abolished. Only the torso of the sizeable residential tower was preserved until today.


Fortress Tichá, remains of inhabitable tower