Na ostrově No. 87

Na ostrově No. 87 Location:
Na ostrově No. 87

Description of the Building:
A building divided by three window axes with granite jambs without moulding placed in the flat front. It has a saddle roof. The layout contains rooms with flat ceilings. There are no cellars under the house.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The house was probably built in the first half of the 17th century. It was used as a town grinding shop, later on it was owned by burgesses, who ran a turner´s trade. The building was completely rebuilt in 1880 with minimal use of the original walls.

Significant Architectural Features:
It has no significant architectural or artistic value.

History of the House Residents:
In 1660 a house is mentioned on the island, situated below the mill next to the municipal rented land. During the reign of the Eggenbergs the magistrate decided to re-establish the municipal grinding shop there and Filip Halzrawek from Wels offered to rent it. The municipality sold it with the right to buy it back whenever it wanted. In 1817 a spa "Johannesbad" of Anna Paxová was situated in the house. It had existed probably earlier, as we can find in the documentation about sales of the buildings on the island. Before the mid 18th century a grinder František Pax is mentioned in the house, followed by a turner Josef Pax in 1750. The house was handed down through the family until 1818, when we find other owners there. In about 1827 the building was changed into an inhabitable house. In 1834 Václav Pax came back to the house and owned it until at least the 1840s.

Present Use:
Souvenirs na Ostrově

Na Ostrově no. 87, overview