Kájovská No. 55
Description of the Building:
A wide complex of corner buildings between the square, Kájovská street, and Na louži. The main building has smooth street frontage which ends with two Gothic gables. The main facade is smooth and separated with many windows of various kinds. The interior on the groundfloor is accessible through the portal with a pointed arch. It follows with the hall which has a flat wooden joist ceiling. Quite significant is a fragment of a Renaissance painting representing a horse, situated in the hall. The hall narrows to a vaulted passage with a Gothic wagon-vault and the passage vents to the central yard of irregular rectangle shape. The groundfloor has a two-part disposition. The peripheral masonry of the groundfloor has a wooden log-cabin-type interspace. In the right part of the house with a lowered groundfloor there is a space with a wooden joist ceiling. The rooms in the first floor have mainly flat ceilings with an exception of a chamber above the passage which has wagon - vaults which repeats in mezzanine. In the yard on the left is a one floor grange with a joist ceiling. The buildings were built on the slope declining towards the Vltava River.
Architectural and Historical Development:
This exceptionally significant building has Gothic origins from the 1st quarter of the 16th century. Among the Renaissance adaptions are the facade decorated with sgraffito. In the Baroque period separate wings and vaults were built. In 1867 an upper northern floor was added, and the reconstruction was completed in 1989. During the reconstruction the log-cabin structure was found in the interior as were the wall paintings on the facade.
Significant Architectural Features:
Late Gothic portal with pointed arch. Fragment of Renaissance painting representing a horse which was transfered to the hall interior from the house Náměstí No. 9 on the square.
History of the House
The first owner mentioned here was some Martin in 1424. Since 1510 Pavel Šnajdar, alias Paulšnajdar lived here. This name was transfered to another house resident, a town councillor Kryštof Kalšingar - Paulšnajdar, who married a widow of Pavel Šnajdar. In 1566, after his death, daughters Klára and Veruna sold the house to doctor Tomáš Albín z Helfenburka, a son of Rosenberg chancellor Václav Albín. In 1574 doctor Tomáš Albín became a bishop of Olomouc and he sold the house to Lorenc Beneš. In 1590, after the death of Lorenc, the house was bought by former Rosenberg officer Jiří Svérázký, who sold it to Jiří Hrachovec in 1594. Since 1597 to 1608 Hrachovec outlived two wives and then sold the house to a butcher Jiří Dittrich. Other house owners were gradually Matyáš Prošek and butcher Kryštof Pach. His widow Barbora sold the house to a hauler Řehoř Trabalík, who according to a deed coming from 1654 brewed beer here. After him a butcher Adam Schmidt moved to the house. From 1727 a draper Vincenc Tukh lived here, later replaced with bibliopeger Pavel Neuhauss. In 1739 - 1838 the house was occupied with the Fridl family.
Hotel Zlatý anděl (Golden angel)