Latrán No. 40

Latrán no. 40, overview Location:
Latrán No. 40

Description of the Building:
Three story house with articulated facade and a rectangular volute gable.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The house was built before 1500 and reconstructed during Classicism. It has an articulated facade, rectangular volute gable and a triangular tympanum. There are vaults on the ground floor and also in a part of the second. There is a gallery on the left side of the courtyard standing on hemicycle wall arcades.

History of the House Residents:
At the end of the fifteenth century, a man named Strabach replaced an unknown hatter as the owner of this house. The family of cloth-maker Hanzl Knap lived here from the beginning of the 1520s. Sometime in the 1530s, Hanzl died and his wife Voršila sold the house to a cooper named Michal. When Michal died in 1545, his wife Regina sold the house to a cooper named Hanzl. Hanzl died sometime during the 1560s and his wife Maruše married again, this time to cooper Kryštof. After Hanzl\'s son Augustin died, Kryštof became the owner of the house and business. Lorenc Bayer was the next owner but he sold the house to a bath-keeper Mates Weiss who lived there until he died in 1627. Later that year, brewer Martin Jäger bought the house and lived there until 1651 when the family of Vilém Engelard moved in. Stocking-weaver Zachariáš Schisselkorn lived here in 1687. Tailors Lorenc Gabriel and Václav Gabriel live here in the eighteenth century. Municipal forester František Häussler lived in the house from 1805 to 1808.

Present Use:
Fast food outlet and apartments.