Kájovská No. 65

Kájovská No. 65, overview, foto: Lubor Mrázek Location:
Kájovská No. 65

Description of the Building:
A two-storey building with four window axes in an assymetrical front which is covered with a modern decoration imitating sgraffito. The saddle roof is parallel with the street at the front of the house. The disposition of the house is a lateral two-aisle. On the ground floor at the front aisle on the left is situated a hall with a flat ceiling, additionally divided by a division wall with a staircase leading to the upper floors. The central aisle of the house is vaulted with barrel vaults, and the rear aisle has flat ceilings abutting on the preserved town wall. On the right is situated a "soutka" (a narrow lane between the houses), which was built up on the upper floors of the back aisle. This lane probably served for draining sewage and water away from the pool - this is why the place is called Na louži ( "At the pool" ).

Architectural and Historical Development:
The house is of Gothic origin. It was built together with the house at Kájovská No. 64 on the same land parcel. Since 1676, when the house No. 64 separated, house No. 65 has been mentioned as a detached house. In the Rennaissance period the first floor was rebuilt and probably the rear aisle was added together with the attic. After the separation of the two houses a new staircase was built. There were some significant reconstructions done later on in the mid-19th century, when the second floor was built behind the attic (the plan from 1840). In 1913 the house acquired its present look, including the ornamental renovation of the facade.

Significant Architectural Features:
The back elevation of the building is created by the town wall.

History of the House Residents:
The house was a part of the neighbouring one No. 64 until 1676, when it was sold by the owner, a strapmaker Vojtěch Dobesi, to a court cooper Filip Skorunka. From 1727 - 1743 the house belonged to a cooper Pavel Schmidt. A shopkeeper Šebestián Brand moved there in 1769 and his family stayed in the house to 1825. The owners changed frequently later on and the only important note is from 1934, when its owner, Petr Watzl, wanted to have new unstylish sgraffitos done on the street facade. His proposal was turned down by the former authorities of preservation of old buildings.

Present Use:
Souvenir shop U Karla, U lilií