Horní brána (Upper gate) no. 4, 5, 6 and 7 - formerly Fričko's Estate (Fričkův dvůr)
Horní brána (Upper gate) no. 4, 5, 6 and 7
In the 14th century the building was known as Kojíš' Estate. It carries the name of Fričko's Estate since the 17th century after its former owner Ferdinand Eusebio Fritschko of Fürstenmühl.
Description of the building:
It is a combination of bricked buildings divided into four architecturally unequal parts - the houses no. 4, 5, 6 and 7.
House no. 4
This is a two-storey tower-type corner building with hipped roof, sticking out in front of the neighbouring no. 5. Its early Baroque forefront dates back to the middle of the 17th century. The house includes plaster bossage at corner sections, a rectangular entrance in the ground floor and a single square window in the reveal. The reveal of the first floor has three square windows. On the second floor there is one single tall window in a ribbon chambrane with ears. Some lettered graffiti lies under the plaster. Rožmberk roses are painted under the profiled crown cornice with drops. On the ground floor there are four rooms vaulted together - wagon vault, wagon vault with sectors and trough vault. Two ellipsoid arcades originally supported the narrow back part. The first floor has flat ceiling. The second floor was originally single-halled. The ceiling is vaulted with wooden-cavetto and decorated with beads and cymas. In the forefront wall there is a niche with a shell in a conch.
House no. 5
House no. 5 is a little bit back from the forefront. It is a rectangular two-storey building with a cellar and a saddle roof perpendicular to the forefront ridge. A wooden-built leeward with an aisle shingle-roof sticks out in front of the street forefront. On the first floor there is a wooden gallery pushed forward, with picket railing and an aisle shingle roof. The forefront above the gallery roof is decorated with four rows of lettered graffiti ending with a strip of so-called sea wave and a symbol of the sun in the upper right part. The rest of the forefront is plastered with smooth white stucco. In the gable there is a square window to the attic and a circular gap to the roof truss. The garden forefront is a two-axial with letter graffiti in the corner sections and sea wave-patterned cornice. The cellar, partially built into the rock, is wagon vaulted. The ground floor has three rooms. There are triple-flight stairs in the vestibule and part of the room is pud-vaulted with ridges. The middle room has a flat ceiling with visible beams and is connected with the third room by two arcades with one centre-column and two retention half-columns. The third room is vaulted with two cross-ridge parts and illuminated by two windows. The flat ceiling first floor has two rooms. There are stairs in the first one and the second is a hall with a painted joist ceiling. Stylised orange-grey acanthus patterns go over the walls in the narrow subceiling fascia. The patterns of painted niches on the walls and window frames made of tresses and coin-plates motives are well preserved. The north-east situated hall has two windows, one to the south-west and one to the north-east. The roof truss is a purlin system with a vertical roof truss with a newly built-in attic. The roof is covered with plain tiles.
House no. 6
House no. 6 is connected with the previous house no. 5. It is slightly ahead of house no. 4 but they are levelled on height. House no. 6 consists of two parts. The tower part contains an arched entry with a wooden gate. Both floors have one window on the street facade. There is a stucco quadrilob between windows. There is letter graffito on the back facade. The second part is slightly lower with elevated ground floor with two square windows and asymmetrically located entry with stone-staircase entrance from the street. There are two asymmetrically located square windows in the reveal of the first floor. Both floors have flat ceilings. The basement is wagon vaulted, wagon vaulted with sectors and cross-vaulted. Originally these rooms were opened with arcades. The saddle roofs are tiled.
House no. 7
House no. 7 is connected to the previous house. It is newer but of the same height level and type.
The ground floor no. 4, probably of Gothic origin, is the oldest preserved part of the former Rožmberk estate. The ground and first floors of no. 5 and no. 6 originate from the Renaissance period of the homestead's development. The back section and the upper floor of no. 4 were reconstructed probably in 1656. A fragment of a plate with a year on it is preserved on the yard facade. Probably there have been opened loggias in the first floor of no. 4. The coffer ceiling with the coat-of-arms of Ferdinand Eusebio Fritschko of Fürstenmühl dates back to the times when the homestead belonged to him. According to a description from 1718, the homestead had one residential building with a lusthaus (summerhouse). The vedutte made by Fr. B. Werner in 1752 proves the existence of a tower with a lantern. The bricked upper floor of the tower used to rise above the roofs of the homestead. Further reconstructions dating back to the 18th century were associated with the separating of the homestead. A triple-flight staircase was constructed in no. 5 and the one in no. 6 was reconstructed. A wooden gallery was built in front of no. 5 on the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. The farm buildings of the former homestead were destroyed during the construction of a ring road in the mid-sixties.
Significant architectonic details:
- no. 5 and 6 - graffiti forefront
- no. 6 facade - classicist stucco quadrilob
- no. 5 - joist ceiling and cross vaults in the first floor
- no. 5 - the first-floor hall with conserved Renaissance paint
and with Baroque wooden coffer ceiling with painted coat-of-arms of
F. E. Fritschko of Fürstenmühl
History of the house inhabitants:
In 1347 the Kojíš' estate situated behind Horní brána (Upper gate), among others, was mentioned among the homesteads belonging to Petr of Rožmberk. Matěj Bedřich Forko, imperial salter and pikeman, became the owner of the homestead in 1677 and Ferdinand Eusebius Fritschko of Fürstenmühl - in 1688. After his death in 1692 the town of Český Krumlov bought the indebted homestead. In 1794 the homestead was sectioned and sold to several owners. Independent houses from no. 4 to no. 19 have been built since that time on its former area.
Houses no. 4, 5, 6 and 7 are inhabited.