Dlouhá No. 96

Dlouhá no. 96 Location:
Dlouhá No. 96

Description of the Building:
This two story building, that is situated on a narrow plot of land, has got a main facade with Renaissance and Classical period decorative elements and a saddle roof with a pitch that runs perpendicular to the main facade. The ground floor consists of two deep tracts.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The original Gothic structure was significantly remodelled in the Renaissance period. Some of the vaulting on the ground floor, the ceilings on the first floor which are either cross vaulted, barrel vaulted or joisted ceilings that have been suspended (covered not long ago) remain well preserved from this period. Classical period renovations can best be seen on the main facade of the building. During the two reconstruction projects that were recently completed, the facade and some of the separating walls in the interior of the building were repaired and the historic plaster layer were removed.

Significant Architectural Features:

  • The vaulting with groins and the joisted ceilings from the Renaissance period
  • Decorative relief work on the facade even though it is a product of modern day reconstruction

History of the House Residents:
At the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th century the building was occupied by Martin Krauthoz and his family. When he died in 1518, his widow Dorota sold the building to a brewer named Jiri with the condition that she could continue to live in the building until she died. Jiri, also known as "the little brewer", sold the building in 1524 to a tanner named Havel. He left the building in his will to his wife Marketa and their children. The widow Marketa was owner of the building until 1556 when she sold it to a tailor named Hans. Marketa and her daughter Ludmila, however, stayed in this building until they both died in 1564. Hans, who was also called Schwarz, or was even known in some places as Froschauer, was found guilty of stealing about two meters of cloth for womens´ skirts from a shopkeeper Zigmund Schlaher of Plesivice in 1565. After Hans´ death in 1571, the town council sold the building to a tailor named Hans Krieg, who moved into this building from Latran. The Frieg family lived here until Hans´ death in 1617. From 1643, the building belonged to tanner Ondrej Neubauer, who was succeeded by a hat maker Rehor Hawle. From 1677, when Eramus Maratschek was owner, the building was used by butchers.

Present Use:
Restaurant and pension Bellarie