Široká No. 76
Description of the Building:
A one-storey row house with an oblong floor plan, separated from a rear one-storey building by a courtyard. The rear building has its own land-registry number. The house has a saddle roof. The Baroque-Classical facade of the house with three window axis is finished by an attic gable which is not divided by a cornice. Above the central first floor window is situated a Classical mural of a sea storm with ships in a recessing field, and above in a similar field is a mural of the Madonna. The ground floor layout is a deep two-aisle with a passage and a staircase in the right part. The front part of the building has flat ceilings, the back is vaulted with barrel-vaults. On the first floor along the front are two sections of different width, at the rear a narrow room with cross vaults resting on wall columns. On the right by the staircase is a preserved scullery and a chamber with a carved joist ceiling.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The house existed even in the Gothic period. It was probably a lateral one-aisle along the street with a lateral wing on the left side and free space on the right. An important reconstruction was carried out in the Rennaissance period from 1592 - 1602, when the layout of the first floor and the attic were created. Classical reconstructions were held in stages between 1768 and 1787, when the Baroque gable added to the Rennaissance attic was built. In 1942 the roof truss together with the front were remodelled into their present appearance.
Significant Architectural Features:
Classical murals on the facade of the house.
History of the House
The first known owner was a cooper Welfl on the break of the 15th and 16th centuries. In the first decade of the 16th century the house belonged to Michal Zbiják. In 1520 the town council sold the house to Wolfgang Zbiják as an inheritance after Michal Zbiják. Wolfgang was also a cooper. The house was kept by Wolfgang´s descendants to 1552, when it was sold to a draper Jiří Kalšingar. Then it was sold several times and in 1574 it was bought by a furrier Lorenc Kersten, who lived there with his family for nearly twenty years.
In 1592 Lorenc assigned it to his son-in-law, a painter Marx Stöling, who probably worked at the court of the last Rosenbergs. The painter Marx died in 1600 and his wife Anna exchanged the house for a smaller one on Rybářská street. From 1607 a blacksmith Jiří Precht stayed in the house, followed by a cooper Lorenc Burghauser in 1614. He is mentioned as the owner until the second half of the 17th century and Voršila Burghauser, married Lesch, kept it to 1680, when the house was taken over by a cooper Jiří Lesch. The following owners of the house were also coopers - in the years 1688 - 1743 it was Martin Springinsklee and in 1768 Gabriel Herman. In 1787 a draper Vít Krieger moved in the house and his family stayed there to 1818.
Krumpléř - haberdashery, fabrics, home furnishing fabrics, Souvenir shop