Radniční No. 23
Radniční No. 23
Description of the Building:
The front with three window axes is articulated by stucco window moulding. There is a two-aisle layout with a small hall on the left, vaulted with barrel vaults, and a staircase. The other rooms on the ground and first floors have flat ceilings. The layout of the cellar under the right side of the building is from stone on the right, and from brick at the front. There are barrel vaults there. The house has a saddle roof with a spherical hip.
Architectural and Historical Development:
As did most of the houses in the historical core of Český Krumlov, the house originated in the Middle Ages. It was not significantly reconstructed for centuries, as we can see on the plan of its condition before the reconstruction in 1866. During the reconstruction a new staircase was set together with new division walls and a new fire gable. The rear part of the ground floor was probably vaulted at the same time. The history of its construction finishes with this reconstruction, apart from a modern shop-window added in 1936.
Significant Architectural Features:
The front with original stucco details and an entrance portal.
History of the House Residents:
A fish warden Václav had the house built in the years 1484 - 1500, and was its first owner. In the years 1510 - 1530 it belonged to a tailor Jan Nevrlec. After his death his family stayed in the house and Pavel Nevrlec sold it to Linhart Singerspihler (Singlspüchler), who paid it off in installments. Linhart moved to the house no. 8 in the square in 1545, and the house no. 23 was bought by a doctor Mates Landauer, who had previously lived in the house no. 16 on the square. In 1560 the house was obtained by a dyer Gerg ( Georg, Gregor - Jiří, Řehoř ). From 1564 the house was paid off by a goldsmith Sára Hilsker, dyer´s widow, who married again to a goldsmith Hans Hilsker in 1566. Sára died in 1571, a year after her husband, and in 1572 the house was bought from her custodians by Michal Pilman. In 1598 Pilman sold the house to Mariana Čert-Schurer, a double widow, who moved there from the house no. 1 in the square. In 1606 Ondřej Schlager, who died in 1609, bought it from her. The widow Markéta married Jan Mess in 1611. When Markéta became a widow again, she sold the house to Dorota Gissler in 1640. She left it to her son-in-law Jan Khan in 1648 for a low price of 250 three scores of Meissen groschen with the right to have a flat on the upper floor with a sitting room and two neighbouring chambers. For her, the discount was probably just a kind of emergency. Uršula Lask obtained the house probably by marriage and sold it to Řehoř Haugsperger. In 1728 the house was inherited by his sister Klára Haugsperger and in 1731 by her sister Žofie Ritter, who transferred the house to her grandson Josef Šimák. The town scribe Josef Šimák sold the house to a girdler Josef Hochkoffler. His widow Alžběta left it then to her son-in-law Alois Krieg. Krieg´s son Ignác inherited it in 1829 and provided his mother with a flat in the ground floor room to the left of the entrance. A new owner Vojtěch Schullerbauer carried out a thorough reconstruction in 1866.
A shop with Crystal Glass Chandeliers U Jakuba.