Panská No. 20
Description of the Building:
A two-storey row burgess house, covered by a saddle roof perpendicular to the front. The main front is divided by two axes, it is crowned by a volute gable with a semicircle-shaped gable post.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The house originated in the 14th century. It was significantly modified in the Rennaissance period, e.g. vaulting of the entrance hall, staircase halls, ceilings on the first floor, etc. There was a Rennaissance gable with volutes and large cornices added at the front. Some sections were divided by division walls during Classicism.
Significant Architectural Features:
- a remarkable cylinder column with a capital in the cellar below the former yard aisle
- an archaic Gothic saddle portal leading to the ground floor chamber
- a joist ceiling with a girder, decorated with plaits on the upper floor
- a Classical grill in a division wall in the entrance hall
- on both sides of the house entrance are preserved pillars of probably late-Rennaissance portal
- on the second floor level of the facade is a covered medieval window opening decorated with gray bands in the window lining
- the Rennaissance moulds, used for moulding of the gable cornices
History of the House Residents:
In the years 1459 - 1466 a shoemaker Matyáš stayed in the house, followed by a butcher Pavel in 1484. Pavel´s widow, who probably married a butcher Martin, is mentioned as the owner of the house from 1500 -1510. In 1520 Martin sold the house to a magistrate Wolf Ott, who also owned the opposite house no. 17 in the years 1526 - 1529. Wolf is mentioned as the owner of the house no. 20 even in the 1530s, then he moved to the house no.11 in the square. A shoemaker Franc, who owned the house from 1540, died in 1556. His widow Barbora married a tailor Pankrác Tanzer. In 1557, when Kateřina Rožmberská of Brunswick arrived festively to Český Krumlov, the house was habited by Bohuslav Malovec of Malovice. The widow Barbora Tanzer-Franc died in 1589 and the house, courtyard and other property were obtained by Wilhelm von Rosenberg. The house was sold immediately to a court scribe Adam Kroupa, who lived there until his death in 1619. In the 1630s the house belonged to Matěj Zahořanský, who moved to the house no.10 in the square in 1650. In the same year the house was bought by a court accountant Jan Boskovský, who was confirmed by the Roll of Assessment in 1654. Beer used to be brewed there in that time. In 1671 the house was bought by a captain of the imperial artillery Matyáš Arnošt Grandesoll for 800 three scores of Meissen groschen. In the years 1690 - 1695 a Pilsen regional secretary Jiří Arnošt Grandesoll is mentioned as the owner of the house. He was followed by a Lechtenstein chancellor Ferdinand Arnošt Münzer of Lauernstein for only five years. From 1700 an Eggenberg burgrave Vít Široký stayed in the house, whose son, a stocking-knitter Jiří, lived there until 1749. In 1750 Ondřej Naxer, a Schwarzenberg warden of the Little Castle Pořešín, moved into the house. From 1760 it belonged to a miller Josef Neubauer, whose family lived there to 1833, followed by Matyáš Wast or Wostl. František Tschunk moved into the house in 1853.