Náměstí Svornosti No. 15
Description of the Building:
This two - story building is topped by a saddled roof that has a pitch which runs perpendicular to the square. The main facade, which faces the square, has got a Classical design and a triangular, scrolled gable. Three late-Gothic, stone window jambs remain on the first floor of the front facade. At the ground floor level, in the space where one large pointed arch formerly marked the entrance to the arcade, there are presently two, individual rounded arches. The interior of the building has got a modern day, four tract spatial layout. Sections of these tracts contain barrel vaults. In the center of the building there is a staircase which dates from the modern era. The ceilings on the first and second stories are flat. The cellars are stone and predominately barrel vaulted.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The oldest parts of the building are Gothic and can be dated to the 13th century (see Archaeological research in Český Krumlov) In the beginning of the 16th century the vaulted, exterior arcade was developed. The stone window jambs on the first floor remain from this time, as well as the Gothic portal and some of the vaulting on the ground floor. Renaissance alterations occurred in the second half of the 16th century. When the main facade was rebuilt after the year 1767, the front wall was renovated in a late-Gothic style and the arcade was removed. The next major reconstruction projects took place in 1920 , when the interior layout of the ground floor was reconfigured, and then in 1936 when the second floor, the attic, and staircase were added to the area behind the gable. During a renovation project that took place in the 1990s, remnants of a 16th century baker´s oven were found.
Significant Architectural Features:
History of the House Residents:
The first known owner of the building was a man named Buter in 1424. Various subsequent owners include, a weaver named Michal, a maker of spurs named Šporara, and a merchant and respected Krumlov citizen and town council member, Lindl Dyrnhovar, also known as "Lindl the Shopkeeper". Lindl brought goods from the markets in Salzburg and operated his shop out of this building. He and his wife Dorota had two sons. Václav, also known as Vaňek Spěváček, and Urbana, who was a priest. In the year 1536 Lindl´s widow Dorota traded this building with that of a baker named Kunc. The building was later obtained by another baker, and long-time town council member, named Mates Plankl. Plankl died in 1576. At the end of the 19th century, his gravestone was placed along side his daughter´s gravestone in the outside wall of the Kaplanka (see Horní No. 159) near the St. Vitus Church in Český Krumlov. After Plankl´s death, his widow Apolena continued to take care of the activities of the house and the bakery. During an Archaeological dig, the remains of the 16th century baker´s oven were found in the basement, as well as, written documents from 1596 that state that there were six chimneys in the building at that time. Subsequent owners include, Wilhelm von Rosenberg´s chamberlain Jakub Nygrín from Turnstein (in around 1600), and wine salesman Matyáš Mathei, in the 1640s and 1650s, who brewed beer in the building. Mathei´s son Ignác was the chief magistrate of Krumlov for a short time. In the beginning of the 16th century, the front arcade was used as an additional space for selling goods. In 1920, the building was used as a branch of a German agricultural bank and later, in 1940, the building was purchased by a Linz-based bank which served the upper Austria and Salzburg areas.
RaiffeisenBANK, barrister office, MV - servicing