Latrán No. 55
Description of the Building:
Two story house with front facing the street, with an attic with volute and sgraffito fragments. The house has irregularly set four windows on the second story and a two-part facade facing the space in front of the Minorite Monastery in Český Krumlov called Tramín. The narrowing carriage-way has cross vaulting with caps and round discs at the top.
Architectural and Historical Development:
This is one of the oldest houses in Latrán, dating back to approximately 1300. Originally, there were two Gothic houses on the plot. The oldest written record is from 1542. In 1578, the sole owner of the two houses was mason Toman Deutsch (probably until 1614) who joined them into one house. The attic was modified around 1580 in connection with the construction of a bridge over the Latrán street. The northern courtyard wing is possibly the result of an early Renaissance phase of modifications. Classicist reconstruction took place from 1806 to 1816, with possible modification before 1833. The front part of the house was adapted between 1895 and 1897 along with the new arrangement of the front. The radical reconstruction of 1932-1933 completely changed the entire right wing which was further modified in 1942. Both facades were modified in 1967.
Significant Architectural Features:
Valuable are mainly the vaulted rooms on the first and second floors, as well as the carriage-way with its cross vaulting with caps or the neighboring space with vaults with caps and groins that gradually turn into Gothic lilies. Ceiling with beams and a mural painting with a fragment depicting Jesus Christ that was made around 1578 were found in a small room on the second story.
History of the House Residents:
As mentioned above, there were originally two small houses on this plot before 1578, one of them "in the corner where the way to the monastery is" and the other next to Latrán No. 54. The first house is mentioned in 1553 when it was owned by goldsmith Libernar (Libertner). The second one is mentioned in 1542 when Martin Kukl sold half of the house for 20 three scores of Meissen groschen to Šebestián Mitasch. In 1545, furrier Blažek purchased the house for twice as much. In 1578, mason Toman Deutsch became the owner of the two houses and joined them into one house. In 1614, Vít Šital is mentioned as living in the house. Several letters "V" carved in the northern room on the second floor may refer to him. A small brewery had been in the house during the 17th and in the beginning of the 18th century. Bakers lived and worked in the house from 1717, when baker Matyáš Irovský moved in, until the end of the eighteenth century. After the 1895-1897 adaptation, an inn was established in the left part of the entrance hall (until 1941). The right wing was modified between 1932 and 1933 into a store of the Baťa company.
Grocery store Jednota and Granát - garnet jewelry. Apartment on the second floor.