Latrán No. 38
Description of the Building:
Two story building with modern extensions on the first story.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The house was constructed before 1500. The present day front was partially modified in the end of the nineteenth century.
History of the House Residents:
Blacksmiths lived and worked here during the entire sixteenth century up until 1622. Around 1500, blacksmith Janek lived in the house and when he died in 1502, he stated in his will that his wife Dorota and son Matěj should inherit the house. But it was probably Janek\'s son-in-law Jan who took over the house and the shop and in 1513 bought the house from Dorota under the condition that she would be allowed to live there the rest of her life. Blacksmith Hans sold the house along with the shop in 1545 to blacksmith Petr but most likely remained there with his wife Kateřina. On the night of October 2, 1552, an old blacksmith Kateřina Hanzlová and a younger one named Anna Petrová were entertaining Rosenberg clerk Jan Choustnický and Latrán burgher Kelbl, and later witnessed a fight between another Rosenberg clerk named Albank who lived on Horní Street and the German joiner Štefl. Choustnický and Kelbl intervened and brought wounded Albank into the house of blacksmith Petr. Kateřina called for a common surgeon who first helped Štefl and then Albank. In 1564, blacksmith Petr who was very old at the time exchanged the house and the shop with a young blacksmith Kryštof for his house Latrán No. 24 in the New Town. Kryštof lived here with his wife Ludmila and six children until his death in 1593. His son Hanzl or Jan who used the surname Prechtl took over the house and lived here until 1622. Later that year, tin-man Kašpar Salzburger, at times working for the court, moved into the house from No. 24 in the New Town. Kašpar died five years later and his wife Žofie took over the shop and house. Tawer Václav Fleischer who also worked for the court bought the house during the 1650s. His son Albín practised the same trade and lived in the house until 1715, when strap-cutter Jan Michal Siemerl moved in. Butcher František Faber lived here from 1784 to 1793. The Fiedler family lived in the house until the 1840s.
The house is not presently used.