Latrán No. 14
Description of the Building:
Two story building with sgraffito blocks. The second story on the right side of the house rests on ancons.
Architectural and Historical Development:
Beautiful Renaissance house, originally Gothic, built in the 1440s. Late Gothic reconstruction between 1513 and 1528. It is one of the oldest Czech houses with the second story on ancons. The facade is decorated with sgraffito blocks, there are remains of a Baroque fresco of P. Marie Pasovská. Restored in 1990 along with the renovation of the facade.
Besides the interior layout of the second story on ancons, also remarkable are the vaulted spaces, especially the room with stairs with its cross vault with groins, rooms with barrel vaults with caps or without them on the ground floor and the Renaissance cross vaults on the second. There is a fragment of Gothic label molding in the cellar.
History of the House Residents:
A man by the name of Pitrl or Petrl lived in the house from the end of the fifteenth century until approximately 1510. The widow of Pitrl, Borbora Pitrlová sold the house in 1513 to a furrier named Michal under the condition that she would be allowed to spend the rest of her life there. She died in 1529, but the house was sold a year earlier to tailor Wolfgang Froschauer, known as the Trumpet. It seems that this nickname was also associated with the previous owner. Tailor Petr Ott bought the house in 1535. After his death in 1541, his brother Wolf sold the house to shoemaker Ondřej. When Ondřej died in 1556, he was survived by his wife Dorota and six children. In the beginning of the 1570s, the house was owned by merchant Gabriel Hofmandl, whose second wife was Sybila, the daughter of butcher Kilián Hlospecn who lived on Široká street. Hofmandl died in 1572 and based on the appraisal of his house, we know that he traded mostly in fabrics. The house was then purchased by Barbora Douchová, a castle laundress, who in turn gave the house in 1589 to her daughter Mariana Tošanská, the widow of a burgher from Prague\'s Malá strana (Small Side). She was prone to frequent quarreling and slandered not only her neighbors, but also the city council and perhaps even Petr Wok von Rosenberg. For this, she ended up in the city prison several times. In 1610, her behavior became absolutely unbearable, so the city council asked the supreme authority, Emperor Rudolf II. von Habsburg to order Mariana to immediately move out of the city. She requested a six month postponement so she could sell her house. It was acquired by her son-in-law Vilém Gloc but Mariana remained there. She died in the city prison in 1612. After the Gloc family, the house was owned by a city clerk Adam Klášterský, followed in 1619 by rope- maker Hans Laisner. From 1646, the house belonged to an Eggenberg corn-clerk Blažej Žabovřeský. He died around 1652 and widow Marie lived there afterwards. A clerk dealing with orphans Jiří Jakub Břeský lived in the house for some time. In 1661, a servant to the prince named Antonín Schreiber started living in the house. He was responsible for purchases for the Český Krumlov court in the Austrian city of Linz and also for accompanying wine transports from Eggenberg vineyards in the lower parts of Austria to Český Krulmov. Miller Řehoř Prix owned the house from 1678, followed by baker Vojtěch Tweraser (Svérázský) in 1699. His family lived in the house until 1796. Sieve-maker Martin Tschandl lived here from 1808 to 1817.
Glass and ceramic shop - Gallery "DHM"