Kostelní No. 162
Description of the Building:
Access to the building is possible straight from the street to the ground floor as well as to the first floor. The back part of the building is set up high on a hill and sits above the Vltava River. A lower buttress is placed in front of the back elevation. The Rennaissance back elevation with the attic without articulation shows clear features of a former town wall. The main front with an inclining facade above the ground floor is pushed down, the attic is of Rennaissance origin and completed at the beginning of the 20th century. The ground floor of a complicated layout is vaulted at the front part with vaults with ridges. One section with ridged star vaulting is remarkable. On the left hand side in the back there are barrel-vaulted sections which lead into the buttress. This part has cellars of several storeys (mostly not accessible). In a part of the cellars there are stone barrel vaults. The Rennaissance layout with ridged vaults on the first floor has been preserved, the front part of the second floor is created by the attic.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The building of Gothic origin was added to the town wall and stood out by a fusion of two smaller houses. Research of the building itself shows that the oldest part of the building is a stone front cellar, which are probably the remains of the narrow original house. The front and the back aisle were added in an unknown time, probably in the Middle Ages, as we can see today on stone gables at the northern front of the house. In 1554 the house was rebuilt. Ridged vaults and especially attic goblets in both fronts with arched endings originated probably in that time. The development of the house was, in fact, finished. Some construction interferences were carried out in the 18th century. In 1723 a toilet was added to the back elevation and we can see it in a picture of the house from 1740. In 1787 the second floor was built in the loft. Sometime at the end of the 19th century or beginning of the 20th century the street front side was given its present look.
Significant Architectural Features:
Arched attic of the back elevation, Gothic entrance portal.
History of the
The first notes about a school situated in the house reach the year 1410, when a rich dean Weczlin z Ciplina donated his house near the church to a vicar Hostislav for a future school. In the oldest town register from the 16th century the house is called domus pauperum, the house of the poor, signifying pupils. During the reign of Wilhelm von Rosenberg, in the second half of the 16th century, the house underwent a Rennaissance reconstruction. Wilhelm´s successor Peter Wok von Rosenberg limited grants to catholic organizations and his successor, the royal chamber, started to economize even more. As a result of it there was a danger of ruining of the building in 1626. In 1636 the town magistrate took it over and after 1650 all Krumlov pupils were to learn there. In 1772 one of the chaplains was sent to Kaplice, to dean František Kindermann, to learn new pedagogical methods of the so-called normal school. In 1778, 167 pupils attended the school based on the principle of coeducation. In 1787 a normal school and the main school were established in the Jesuite building and the old school building ceased serving for teaching, but it was used for various other purposes, especially for accommodation of teachers. The upper floor was habited by a teacher of music, in 1808 artillery stayed in all the house. From 1819 the house served as a working school for boys and girls, especially for poor and forlorn children. They learnt handcraft like making straw baskets, bowls for fruit, tablecloths and carpets, and they were prepared for a trade. The poor children were fed with soup from bones and from 1822 they were allowed to stay there overnight. Later on there was a German music school and after 1947 a Czech music school.
There is Elementary Art School in the building.