Horní No. 146
Description of the Building:
This one story structure was built on a deep and narrow plot on the sloping terrain of Horni Street. Protruding from the front facade, at the level of the first floor, there is a bay which rests on three stone corbels. The window ledge of the bay is decorated with a relief of the Rosemberg five-petalled rose. In the upper part of the main facade, which was created in a Classical style, there is a scrolled gable wall with molded cornices that conceals the pitched roof. The main facade has got well-preserved, original stone window jambs. On the ground floor there is a Gothic, pointed arched portal. In the interior of the building there is a barrel vaulted hall which has been sub-divided by a separating wall. The center of the building there are three tracts with barrel vaults and Gothic pointed arches in the central wall. The disposition of the ground floor, including the vaulting, is the same on the first floor. The vaulted cellars are constructed of stone or brick and can be entered into through Gothic portals.
The original building can be dated to the Gothic period. Particularly well-preserved from this period are various vaults and portals, windows and, above all, the layout of the structure. The back section of the building that contains flat ceilings originates from the Renaissance period. This section was annexed onto to the original Gothic base structure. Also added to the building at this time were rooms for a scullery and a baker\'s oven. Further alterations to the building took place in the late Baroque and Classical eras. Adaptations that were made in the second half of the 19th century include the addition of a new facade with parapetted gable, and separating walls that divided up the interior spatial layout. In the year 1932, the building was adapted to be used as a bakery. The bakers oven was rebuilt and the window along the street was remodelled so that it could be used as a display for goods that were baked there. In 1936 an annex was added on to the courtyard for a laundry business. The most recent construction project took place in the 1990s.
Significant Architectural Features:
- Gothic entrance portal
- Bay with relief of the Rosemberg five-petalled rose
- Stone window jambs in the main facade
History of the House
At the turn of the 15th century, a man named Jiri, also known as Senrajtr, lived in this building. It is suggested that he was a travelling clerk for the Rosembergs. After him, the building was acquired by a baker named Zigmund Sichpek in 1515. The next owner was another baker, named Mates, who lived here with his wife from 1546-1572. The building then changes hands from bakers´ to butchers´ when butcher Lopatka and his wife Anicka and four children moved into the building where they stayed until 1597. After Lopatka´s death, his widow remarried another butcher Zigmund Strassburg, to whom the building belonged until the year 1638, when it was sold to Jan Payerhueber. In 1654, Payerhueber´s widow Klara was remarried and her new husband, butcher Adam Pentz, owner of the building next door (no. 145), owned this building for a short time. When he sold building no. 146 that same year, he kept for himself the courtyard, the brewery, and the stables, which he had adjoined to his other property building no. 145. The new owner of no. 146 was brewer Matyas Landsknecht, who left the building to Eva Landsknechttova in 1661. From 1666-1711, the building belonged to the Eggenberg chief hunter Vit Tichack who was succeeded as owner by court gardener Tomas Gerler. Subsequent owners of the building in the 18th century include, town miller Josef Miller (from 1719), butcher Adam Stifter (from 1730), brewer for the prelate Gabriel Michal (from 1743) butcher Jan Barta (from 1748), another butcher Adalbert Pranghoffer (from 1761) and from 1761, three generations of bakers in the Mayer family owned the building until 1837.