Panská No. 22

Panská no. 22, overview Location:
Panská No. 22

Description of the Building:
A one-storey expansive house on the corner with a curb roof and elements of a Classical reconstruction from the end of the 18th century. The main front, facing Panská street, is interrupted. The entrance hall is vaulted with barrel vaults. On the elevated ground floor on the left is a room with barrel vaults with sectors and a corner room with cross vaults. On the upper floor are flat ceilings.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The building probably originated on two medieval land parcels, integrated even in the Gothic period. The house was rebuilt in the Rennaissance period and in the early-Baroque, as we can estimate in both extensive rooms with vaults on the elevated ground floor. A significant reconstruction was carried out at the end of the 18th century - the layout on the first floor, vaulting of the entrance hall, the roof and the front were newly designed. At the end of the 19th century a new staircase to the upper floor was set and a new vault of the front cellar was made in the mid-20th century.

Development of facade:
There had probably been two gables arranged in the form of steps in the facade from the late Middele Ages period. The icongraphy of that period (18th century) shows the corner gable. Secondary used stone-cutting window elements from the Middle Ages period appeared in the building. The original plaster design was markedly changed during the Baroque-Classicism period, when the building was radically rebuilt. The front at the 1st floor level was articulated with a pilaster, window holes on the 1st floor were framed with band shams with triangle-shape cranked pediments and window ledge filling.


The band rustic-work articulated the ground-floor. Discovered coloured articulations: green-and-white-coloured, ochre-and-white-coloured. The window ledge filling was decorated with the red-coloured illusion marble. The facade r estoration was done in 1996. The Classicism scheme inspired the coloured articulation and the silicate technology was used.

..Significant Architectural Features:

  • a pointed portal of the door which leads to the yard
  • a saddle portal in the central aisle on the ground floor
  • a saddle portal on the elevated ground floor
  • Gothic window jambs of the entrance hall
  • the depth of the back cellar with a remarkably long staircase
  • a glazing bar of a moulded three-piece medieval window secondly used as
  • a side post between windows on the first floor
  • the upper floor - the corner room - a late-Gothic mural of The Passion of St Šebestián (?), a Rosenberg coat-of-arms and a coat-of-arms of the Lords of Gutstein (?), the ornamental Rococo decoration of the room
  • the corner room on the elevated ground floor - a late-Gothic vegetative framing of vaulting
  • ridge elements of Baroque-Clasical facade articulation with the Mariánský mural

History of the House Residents:
Panská no. 22, overview In the years 1459 -1466 Jan Blahut was the owner of the house, followed by a certain Petril in 1484 and Glacl in the years 1500 -1504. From 1510 the house belonged to a stone-mason and a Rosenberg architect Hans Götzinger. In 1526 Götzinger sold it to Tomáš Turek - a rich burgess, merchant and councillor, who owned it to 1551. Turek´s family disorder, caused by a tendency of his wife towards theft, was solved in the town council and in front of the Rosenberg lordship. In 1551 the house was bought by a Rosenberg official Alexandr Škola of Grünperk, a district administrator at Rožmberk, who owned it until 1566. In 1557 Karel of Žerotín with his suite were lodged in the house. The following owner was from 1566 a tailor Kašpar Teufel-Čert, son of Ondřej Čert from the house No. 1 in the square. Discontented, constantly arguing with his relatives, Kašpar had to sell the house because of debts to Kolman Egrer in 1571. The house was bought from Egrer in 1573 by Jan Višně of Větřní na Pasovarech and Jan´s son Adam Višně of Větřní na Pasovarech sold it to Linhart Hauzenperger in 1580. After Linhart´s death his son Jakub became the owner of the house in 1585. He exchanged it in 1608 for the house of Zikmund Höricer at Soukenická No. 44. After Horicer the house was kept by a closely unknown Preininger, whose heirs sold it to Jan Payerhuber in 1634. In 1638 the house was bought by a draper Jiří Miess, who died in about 1648. The following owner was Albín Tuck, who was confirmed there by the Roll of Assessment. His son Jan, who was also a draper, lived in the house to 1742. After several different owners Antonín Svoboda, who was a brewer at the town brewery, came in from 1781 - 1800, and later on Jan Kindl, who was succeeded by Antonín Prokop.

Present Use:
Sparkasse Muhlviertel West Bank