Latrán No. 20
Description of the Building:
Three story building with a long South-West wing and a small building in the rear. The front was modified around 1800, it has lisenes with windows with granite decoration around it. The left side of the front from the ground floor up stands on a stone cantilever. The Southern courtyard facade has three arcades in the left part on the second and third stories.
Architectural and Historical Development:
This is one of the oldest houses in the lower castle area, it possibly dates back to the end of the 13th century. The cellar, peripheral walls of the main building and the first story of the rear building are all Gothic. Renaissance reconstruction which added the second and third story as well as the side and rear wing had two phases: between 1551 and 1553 and before 1586, when the arcades might have been added. Between 1763 and 1799, Classicist modifications took place, mainly concerning the front of the house. Alterations carried out during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries were rather damaging to the house. The courtyard development dates back to Renaissance. The gable of the rear building and the corner quoin are from late Renaissance period or early Baroque.
Significant Architectural Features:
Some of the Renaissance elements are remarkable - for example the entrance portal, window lining, covered letter-shaped sgraffito, banisters on the stairway leading to the third story and many vaults. Unique is the two story arcade of the main building and the Northern arcade of the courtyard wing. The house is basically the only building with arcades in the city. However, the courtyard is in very poor condition and requires reconstruction.
History of the House
The family of a hatter who died around 1525 lived in the house around 1500. The widow named Ludmila sold the house in 1527 to her brother Ondřej, who was also a hatter. There was a dispute between Ondřej and the abbess of the Český Krumlov convent in 1536 over the inheritance of his nieces, Ludmila\'s daughters Brigita and Maruše. Brigita became a sister in the said convent and when her single sister Maruše died, and the abbess claimed the right to inherit her property. Ondřej who probably was not married and did not have any children sold the house in 1542 to tanner Mates. A man named Jaroš owned the house from the end of the 1540s and when he died in 1551, the house became the property of his wife Markéta and their six children. Markéta sold the house in 1555 to Rosenberg clerk Adam Stralar who in 1563 gave the house to Kašpar Froschauer who in return gave him the house at Panská No. 32. Froschauer died in 1565 and his wife Alžběta married again, this time to Martin Wolfart, the barber-surgeon of Petr Wok von Rosenberg. This marriage did not last long, as she married again in the beginning of the 1570s with Antonín Weinold from Roudnice who sometimes used the last name Frošauer. Weinold sold the house in 1586 to Rosenberg cook Matouš Rubiček. The following year, Rubiček exchanged the house for the neighboring No. 21 with mason Hans Gosch. In 1589, Hans Gosch exchanged the house for the house Latrán No. 47 with Mates Krizinger. Mated died in 1599. The widow (Ludmila) married Matyáš Rudner who lived here alone during the first decade of the new century. During the followng centuries, this house was often inhabited by castle employees. In 1635, it was pension clerk Valentin Praun, then burggrave and later captain Petr Schloot or surgeon Ondřej of Volksgofen. Court trumpeter František Leopold Pittermann lived here from 1690 to 1749, followed by Schwarzenberg registrar Kristián František Műhlpek. Lorenc Schill owned the house from 1763, in 1769 Jan Michal Pőschl moved in and stayed until 1799. The family of Vincenc Walter owned the house at least until the 1840s. J. A. Micko established a clothing shop in the house in 1878.
Rolla Minilab - photo services, Krum - shoes, Leather goods and Textiles on the ground floor. The upper stories are residential.