Kájovská No. 62

Kájovská no. 62, overview Location:
Kájovská No. 62

Description of the Building:
A two-storey corner building with a saddle roof, parallel to the street. The house used to abut on today\'s non-existing Kájovská town gate - inner. The main front of the house, facing Kájovská street, is covered with yellow-white letter type sgraffito on the ground and first floors. The windows are skirted with a rare ornamental sgraffito band. On the ground floor is a Gothic portal with skiving. The other front walls lack the sgraffito decoration, only band cornices are present. The rear facade (facing the river) has all odd arcades on the third floor broken by windows.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The house was built onto the town gate and town walls in the late Gothic period. It was reconstructed in the Rennaissance period and the upper floor was added in 1820. In 1848 the aisle with an odd archade was built in the direction of the Vltava. In about 1960 a public passage through the house was built, which destroyed and devaluated a part of the ground floor. The passage was walled-up during the reconstruction of the ground floor in 1995. In the following year an extensive renovation of the sgraffito facade and roof was carried out.

Significant Architectural Features:
Valuable ornamental sgraffito bands that skirt the windows facing Kájovská street. On the side wall of the building is a visible print of the original inner town gate - Kájovská gate, which used to be situated between the houses No. 62 and 169 until 1842, when it was knocked down.

Kájovská no. 62, grafitto bordering window onto the street

History of the House Residents:
The first owner of the house is mentioned at the beginning of the 16th century, when it belonged to a butcher Matěj Mikš. From 1517 to 1565, when the house was bought by a tailor Pankrác Fischer called the tailor from Kájovská gate, it was kept by several maltsters. Kájovská no. 62, entrance portal At the end of the 16th century the house was owned by a weaver Lorenc Reichenschleger, who is mentioned there even during the first years of the 17th century. In 1648 a tailor Lukáš Jungbauer moved there and lived there probably until 1694. In 1751 the house was shortly kept by a shoemaker Leopold Schebl and in the same year a dyer Zikmund Weiss moved there. From 1763 an innkeeper Wolfgang Wagner moved to the house, followed by the family of Mayers, who owned the house even in the first half of the 19th century.

Present Use:
Besides the office of the Travel Agency Vltava, the Bed and Breakfast Vltavaand Porcela Plus are situated here.

In 1996 a photo documentation was made showing the outer state of the building before and after the reconstruction of the facade.