Dlouhá No. 95

Dlouhá no. 95 Location:
Dlouhá No. 95

Description of the Building:
A two-storey row house with a not-very-articulated Classical front from 1838. It has a saddle roof, perpendicular to the street. The ground floor layout is deep and two-aisled.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The house is of medieval origin. It was changed into a municipal malt house in 1503. Only the cellars and part of the peripheral walls have been preserved from that time. The house was changed into an inhabitable house in 1645 when they stopped using the malt house. The house nearly disappeared during the last reconstruction in 1838. In the later period only some rooms were reconstructed.

Significant Architectural Features:

  • an iron-plated door in the entrance hall, probably secondarily used
  • The house is valuable more for its layout than for details, preserved from the 1830s in practically the same condition, including sculleries and some panes.

History of the House Residents:
A certain Václav lived there until 1500. During the entire 16th century there was a malt house, which provided the neighbouring house No. 94 with malt. In 1645 the town sold the old malt house to a kettle-smith Jan Netting, who rebuilt it into an inhabitable house. From 1656 it belonged to a shoemaker Kryštof Beer and then it was inherited by Štefan Pauer. In the years 1684 - 1714 a strapmaker Leonard Kleiner became the owner of the house. The following owner, Vít Vítek (Wittek), whose family lived there to 1779, was also a strapmaker. Until the end of the 18th century there were several owners e.g. František Stokinger, from 1782 Jan Willisch, from 1790 František Vítek (Wittek),whose family owned it to 1838, when Jan Kindl came in the house.

Present Use:
Folk art souvenirs, Marionettes costumes