Široká No. 50
Description of the Building:
A one-storey corner building with the front decorated with a letter type sgraffito dated 1614, reconstructed in the Rennaissance period. The house is a valuable example of late-Rennaissance architecture in the town surroundings of Český Krumlov.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The house was completely built in the last decade of the 16th century. Some researchers deduct the time of its establishment from the year 1614 on the facade. According to archival resources, no house seems to have existed in that place before 1588. But historical research suggests the possibility that an older building could have been used and renovated during the reconstruction - probably a courtyard or some facilities of the house at Soukenická No. 39. The house has retained elements of original Rennaissance layout to a large extent, although some of the elements were completed later on (the end of the 18th century - Classical cellar vaults and probably vaulting on the first floor in the back aisle; in the 19th century some division walls were made and a scullery was renovated). Just before the mid 1950s, the facade sgraffitos were renovated.
The house is especially valuable for its well-preserved Rennaissance reconstruction and the original layout. Original architectural elements like vaults have also been preserved. The vaulted cellar and the roof truss of the house are of Rennaissance origin as well.
History of the House Residents:
Considering the fact that the house was established on the break of the 16th and 17th centuries, it is fairly easy to identify the individual owners according to documents that evidence the property holdings. The first was probably Tomáš or Toman Höldrle, mentioned there from 1601. From 1628 - 1743/48 the house owners ran a butcher´s trade, starting with Tomáš Landsknecht and finishing with Mates Vogtl in 1743. The development of prices provides interesting evidence about history of the house: in 1690 the market price of the property was 750 three scores of Meissen groschen (including a small shop for 200 guldens), in 1717 the price of the building decreased to 440 guldens and up to 1778 it increased to 500 guldens. In 1789 a cooper Jan Bican bought the back side of the house no. 39 in Soukenická street and sold it as a separate building six years later.
Stories And Other Interesting Information
A former owner is said to appear in the house. He owned the house when the neighbouring building had a questionable reputation, full of prostitutes. Even the owner of this house, Široká street no. 50, who was outwardly known as a moral and honest man, used to go there at night to take advantage of the the pleasure they offered. When everything finally came to light he could not bear the public scandal and died from a stroke. At times when the moon gets smaller, he sometimes appears not only in his former house but also in the neighbouring one, lamenting over what he's done. Some tenants confirm to have seen him, others have only heard him.
Present Use :
The building houses a private ordinance of an orthopedic specialist and surgeon MuDr. Jan Střítecký, a flat and Travel Agency JS - Guide Service Střítecká.