Náměstí Svornosti No. 12, Local name: Zlatokorunský dům (Zlatá Koruna house)
Description of the Building:
This two-story corner building with main facade that faces the square has got a sharp saddle roof which is covered with tiles. The main facade is Classical and originates from the end of the 18th century. On the exterior ground floor there is a vaulted arcade which is marked by three, pointed arches with late-Gothic, rectangular pillars. The main facade is vertically divided into three rectangular sections by Corinthian-style pilasters and the windows are decorated with Neo-Classical ornamental elements. At the top of the front gable are two Neo- Classical vases and a bust of an abbot named Neumann of Vyšší Brod Monastery from 1790. The south side outside wall is enriched by two bays, each of which rests on three stone corbels. On both of the central corbels, there is a relief sculpture of the emblem of the Rosenberg family, the five-petalled rose. Also on this side of the building are several windows that still contain their original stone jambs. The west side of the building faces Soukenická Street. The entrance into the interior of the ground floor of the building is marked by a pointed arched, molded, Gothic portal. Through this portal is the double-tract entrance hall. This hall is barrel vaulted to the arcade with low central columns. in the back left part of the building, there is a so-called, "chapel" with ribbed tracery vaulting. The spaces on the right were remodelled in the modern era. On the first floor there are several Gothic portals and the space above the "chapel" has a Renaissance carved, joisted ceiling. The majority of the first and second story ceilings are flat. The rafters of the building are predominately Gothic. The cellars under the right front and left back parts have stone barrel vaults.
Architectural and Historical Development:
According to the oldest written records, the original Gothic building can be dated to the 14th century. Construction that took place around 1500 set into place the basic spatial layout of the building on the ground and first floors. The arched exterior walkway, two-aisle entrance hall, vaulted "chapel" (first mentioned in written records from 1529), and bays were also created at this time. The western part of the building had, at this time, only two stories. When late-Renaissance alterations were made around the year 1613, the facade was covered with sgrafitto. At the end of the 18th century, when the main facade of the building underwent a Baroque-Neoclassical renovation project, the vases and the bust of Abbot Neumann on the gable were set into place. In 1835 the vaulted front arcade was encased in walls. In 1879 a late-Baroque attic wall was added to the facade and the second floor was built. The building was reconstructed in the 1950s and the arcade was exposed and the building was adjoined to its adjacent building, Náměstí No. 13.
Significant Architectural Features:
- Gothic entrance portal
- Late Gothic ribbed tracery vaulting, "chapel"
- Gothic bays on the southern exterior wall of the building
- Renaissance ceiling on the first floor
History of the House Residents :
The origin of the building was, for a period of more than 150 years, mistakenly dated to the year 1309, the time at which, among other occurrences, the Zlatá Koruna Monastery was formed and the town of Krumlov was first named. Because of this connection, the building was called the "Zlatá Koruna" building and was long presented as a property of the Zlatá Koruna clergy. This theory was reinforced by the by the existence of what appears to be a the domestic chapel in the back left section of the ground floor. The most recent research shows however, that this may perhaps be an error and that the building that belonged to the monastery of Zlatá Koruna was Náměstí No. 1, the present-day town hall. The first written records of the present-day building No. 12 originate from the year 1424 and document that the building was property of a town painter named Simon. Although from the year 1466 the owner of the building appears to have been a certain Biskup, under discussion is the name of this person and what was the function of the building at this time. One significant owner was the Rosenberg civil servant and educator, Václav z Rovného to whom the building belonged from the year 1484, and who apparently can be accredited with the extensive late-Gothic renovations and perhaps even with the initial construction of the domestic chapel. In 1526 the building was purchased by the Rosemberg tax clerk and administrator Silvestr Pergar. The building was purchased from the Pergar family in 1552 by the Rosenberg court tailor Jiří Neumeister, who owned the building until 1574. After a period of time, and several deaths and weddings, Ondřej Plankl sold the building in 1599 to Krumlov chief magistrate Kilian Hólder von Schattenber. Von Schattenberg´s widow then sold the building to a burgrave named Jan Nygrín and from this time the building was used as an establishment that brewed and served beer. Subsequent significant owner include the Eggenberg master coin minter Filip Ignac Háckel from the years 1678-1689 and the Schwarzenberg court cook Valentin Nuemann, whose son Antonin was appointed Abbott of Vyšší Brod in 1795. After he was appointed he changed his name to Osvald. The bust of Abbott Osvald is located on top of the front gable. In the years 1716-1869, a gingerbread -making business was in operation in this building and in the year 1869 the space on the first floor was rented out to the district administrators. Occupants of the building in the 20th century include, a laundry service (1921-1933) a butcher´s shop, and the town museum (located on the upper floor from 1947). From the 1950´s, the building has been used as the town hotel.
Hotel The Old Inn