Latrán No. 41
Description of the Building:
Three story building with a rebated fourth story was built in 1930. It was designed by A. Rott.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The original structure standing in this space was probably late Gothic, but underwent a complete overhaul in 1930. During demolition, Renaissance sgraffito from the second half of the sixteenth century appeared on the walls of the old building. Unfortunately, everything was destroyed.
History of the House Residents:
The first known owner of the house was shoemaker Martin Fencl in the beginning of the sixteenth century. Around 1510, locksmith Jakub started living here. During the 1540s, Jakub moved to the Latrán No. 42 just across the street and sold No. 41 to baker Kristl (Kryštof). Jan Schofik bought the house during the 1550s then in 1581 left it for his daughter Mariana and son-in-law Šebestián Magerle. He himself kept his other house, Latrán No. 54. Because of the inheritance, Šebestián Megerle had to pay off his four sisters-in-law. Around 1595, he gave the house to his son Jan who lived there until 1611. Hatter Jiří Treibsrad lived here from 1693, followed in 1730 by a man of the same trade, Matyáš Saltzer. Mason Valentin Adam owned the house from 1767 to 1774. Flour-dealer Jakub Postl was the next owner and his family lived in the house until 1821.