Kájovská No. 69
Description of the Building:
A one-storey house, originally with an ornamentally decorated front from the time after the middle of the 18th century. Between the windows is placed a mural of Panna Marie Klasová in a medallion, dated 1743. When the facade was uncovered, an original Rennaissance painted house sign was discovered. The layout of the ground floor with a chamber on the right is divided by a division wall. The hall, from where leads access to the abutting court wing, is vaulted with barrel vaults with sectors. The rear building was added to the town wall and represents a deep three-aisle with barrel vaults. In the court wing is a mezzanine chamber, representing the intact Rennaissance interior with original windows and vaulting. At the rear of the first floor is a staircase hall with a flat ceiling. The neighbouring back section contains a richly-decorated stucco Baroque niche and a ceiling decorated with a stucco mirror; the room decoration is rich and ornamental, decorated in several layers. In the front rooms (facing the street) there is a richly decorated, carved Rennaissance ceiling below the soffit. Tracks of rich decoration were also found in the other parts of the house. The back building has flat ceilings, it is accessible by a gallery on the level of the first floor. There is a collar beam roof truss with set Baroque dormers facing the street.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The main building is clearly of Gothic origin. The floor plan shows a complicated development. The largest reconstruction was during the Rennaissance period (the hall on the ground floor, the joist ceiling on the upper floor, the court wing). A Baroque reconstruction in about 1750 left the house with rich decorations, stucco decorations and the second floor of the court wing. In 1657 the present look of the front was probably created. It might have been additionally renovated in the late Baroque period. In the years 1953 - 1995 the mural was restored and in 1995 a complete reconstruction of the house was carried out.
Significant Architectural Features:
- A decorative facade with plenty of stucco and painted decorations
- a carved joist ceiling on the upper floor
- the Gothic portal on the ground floor
- a decorated chamber on the first floor of the house
History of the
The first documented owner was an unknown furrier, whose son sold the house to a shopkeeper Hanzal in 1518. After his death a carpenter Mates bought it and from 1550 the house belonged to a tailor Jiljí Khünig. He died in 1569 and his widow Markéta married Michal Aigner, who sold the house in 1579. In 1586 a wheelwright Mates Sath was the owner, and he died in 1596. His widow Apolena probably died from the plague in 1598. In 1599 the house was bought by a carpenter Petr Kysaur, who paid it off by 1612. In 1636 a shopkeeper Urban Turban, who moved there from Kostelní No. 166, stayed in the house. He was followed later on by a gingerbread maker Matyáš Minichperger. In the years 1650 - 1658 the house was owned by Jiří Schwab, and afterwards kettle-making was run there until 1801. The first kettle-maker was Jiří Kaltschmidt, followed by Hans Stöckl in 1674. His family lived in the house to 1777, when a kettle-maker Matyáš Prokl moved in. The house belonged to Matyáš Prokl from 1801 to at least the 1840s.
Restaurant V podzámčí, Jewellery world
Included are photos before exterior repairs in 1995 and after, from 1996.