Horní No. 144 a 145
Description of the Building:
This one story structure on sloping terrain has a front facade which faces Horni Street and a side wall which faces Masna Street. The Classical facade of the building is vertically sub-divided by piedroits. The interior of the ground floor has got a somewhat irregular layout. A barrel vaulted hallway remains in the front section of the building whereas, the rooms in the back of the building have flat ceilings. Barrel vaults appear again in the right side portion of the building which is equipped with a passageway to the courtyard, where modern-day alterations, including the terrace addition, can be found. An additional barrel vaulted space exists in the interior space along the Masna Street side of the building. Adjacent rooms have got cross-groin vaults.
Architectural and Historical Development:
The building that stands today actually originated as two separate structures that both date from the Gothic period. Some of the walls from this period are well-preserved. The groin vaulted space in the first floor hallway that exists today is a product of Renaissance alterations. Classical renovations were made at the end of the 19th century, after the fire of 1867. During these renovations the facade of the building was heightened. The most recent alterations were made to the building in the second half of the 20th century.
History of the House Residents:
Building no. 144:
In the 16th century building number 144 belonged to a man by the name of Svidle. The subsequent owners were Duchacek and his wife Magdalena. In 1542 he sold the building to his son-in-law Jakub Keglar, with the condition that Duchacek´s other son-in-law, who lived in the building at that time, was allowed to remain in the building until his death. Later the building was in the hands of Blazky the shoe-maker, who sold the building to the tanner Hans Weinling in 1551. In 1556 the building was sold to Michal Weinman and his wife Walburz, who then sold the building in 1593 to the tailor Jiri Funk. The last significant owners of the building in the 16th century were the Krystof Neustetter family, who owned the building from 1597-1610. In the 1640s, the building was inhabited by the brewer Petr Peschl, who then sold the building to goldsmith Matyas Wimer in 1648. From 1674-1714, bookbinder Ondrej Kunat and his family lived here. They were followed by another bookbinder, Pavel Neuhaus. From the year 1761, the building belonged to a weaver named Leopold Gatscher and in the first half of the 19th century, it belonged to the Krieger family.
Building no. 145:
According to written documents, the first known owner of building no. 145 was Jan Jirku, in the beginning of the 16th century. The building was later acquired from him by a butcher named Ondrasek. In the year 1513 the building was bought by the Rosemberg chancellor Václav z Rovného for the widow Katerina Promarova. In exchange for this building Václav received from the widow the building across the way (Horní No. 159) and it was here that he built a new chapel. Shortly before her death, widow Promarova sold building no. 144 in 1543 to Linhart Svarec. After Svarec´s death, the building was obtained in 1553 by his son-in-law, Sebastian Perger, who then lived in the building with his wife Alzbeta. The Pergers however did not enjoy a peaceful coexistence. They later decided that they could not live together under one roof, separated from one another, and sold the building in 1569 to stable master Jakub Mensik. He then sold the building in 1570 to a tanner named Bartolomej Habensteir. Subsequent owners of the building were Ambroz Attesser, also known as Kurfirt, from 1582 and then Austrian shopkeeper Hans, whose family lived in the building until 1620. In that year, Ondrej Schisselkorb moved into the building and about five years later he was replaced by a weaver named Mikulas Winkler. From 1649-1699, the building belonged to the butcher Adam Pentzov, who also owned the neighboring building Horní No. 146. for a short time. When Pentzov sold building no. 146 in 1654, he kept the courtyard, the brewery and the stables, which he had connected to building no. 145, for himself. From the year 1699, the building was inhabited by a saddler named Jan Prill, who was succeeded in 1711 by carriage driver Eramus Lanser. From 1718-1757, town brewer Vit Daffel lived here. The gingerbread maker Frantisek Fridla lived here until the end of the 18th century and he was succeeded by Vaclav Langa, whose family lived here until 1821.
Hotel Konvice, Restaurant Konvice